Department of ICT
Effective management of Information Communication Technology solutions for enhancing efficiency in provision of service within the Ministry and its stakeholders.
To provide the highest quality ICT solutions in the most efficient and reliable approach, and facilitate the Ministry’s mission as it applies to management and departments.
- Productivity: To enhance productivity and reduce cost of improving the accuracy, timeliness and speed with which the Ministry’s departmental functions can be met.
- Information availability: To increase and improve information and data availability, thereby assisting the Ministry Management in decision making and facilitate departments in providing services to the public.
- Infrastructure: To augment and improve the infrastructure of the Ministry's Information Systems, including technical (Connectivity, hardware, software), the organizations structure and human resource capacity building through ICT user training.
- New technology: To evaluate new technology to determine if it will provide benefits to the Ministry in achieving its objectives.
- The ICT Department is headed by an ICT Director who plans, monitors and evaluates program activities; ensuring ICT goals and objectives are met; Coordinating ICT activities including advising on matters of ICT, managing ICT resources including linking the Ministry to all stake holders.
- Implementation of Government National ICT policy and e-Government Strategy. The strategies combine both e-Government strategies and Ministry specific programmes, coordinating the development of the Ministry’s ICT Policy which guides the usage and care of ICT hardware and software.
- Capacity Building: With adoption of electronic communications and increased access to ICT within the Ministry, there is need to train staff to be adequately equipped for this new working environment. In this regard, the officers undertake user needs assessment in order to determine and recommend the kind of training required for the staff.
- Project Coordination and support to the Ministry: Provide professional consultancy services on matters of ICTs on guiding the procurement process of ICT Projects; Designing LAN and WAN Infrastructure and Implementation; Development of tender documents, evaluation, supervision and inspection of ICT projects.
- ICT Helpdesk services: This helps in the provision of immediate service not requiring external contractor to undertake, such as diagnostic and configuring of ICT components (hardware and software). Helpdesk provide prompt advice in relation to ICT issues in the Ministry. This includes: Hardware diagnostic on faults (Cabling problems, printing, drive malfunctioning); Software installation (system programs, utility programs, antivirus, application programs); Installation and service of ICT equipment; Network functionality (share resources and documents).
- Website maintenance: ICT Officers help designing and developing the ministry website, collating and refining the contents through relevant authorities in the Ministry and publishing the same on the website. Task include; Website design/re-design and maintenance; Content management; Provision for links to other websites (affiliate bodies); Provide other web based services such as advertising (jobs, contracts, and circulars),online documents (policy, conferences and major commissioned papers) and inquiry systems.
Coordinate the automation process in the Ministry: ICT Officers are involved in system analysis and design and program specifications which to date are milestones in the E-Government Strategic implementation.